Wednesday, March 11, 2015

make a $5.00 art journal

I have STRONG opinions about art supplies and materials. I believe: you don't need to spend a lot of money to make art. In fact, spending money on the latest trending items won't make you more creative or a better artist. As someone who has lived most of my life on a budget, I've had to find ways to get really creative with supplies. Over time and lots of experience, I've come the the conclusion that it is ok (and sometimes better) to keep things simple or even get creative with the materials that you already own! 

Today I am sharing on of my all time favorite ways to cut corners, get creative with supplies and pull together a cheap but colorful art journal for about $5.00!



This process has been something I have been doing since college art classes as a way to keep a colorful visual journal where I can sketch, take notes, free write, collage and experiment with new ideas and techniques. 

I love the Strathmore 5.5" x 8.5" watercolor paper pads. At $2.25 they are SO affordable and make a really great surface for all kinds of wet media and techniques (anything from watercolors, acrylic painting, gelli printing, etc all work well on this paper).

While you can use any of your favorite mixed media supplies, a set of Crayola watercolors is perfect if you are creating on a budget. For around $2.50, you can create colorful backgrounds!
Since I love to draw and create in layers, it is important for me to make use of simple supplies to create a journal that has colorful pages. These backgrounds are the first of many layers that will happen in my art journals- there is something about having color on a page (instead of all that white space) that makes jumping into drawing a little more exciting!


I keep all of my papers in the journal and then paint over the top of the cover. In a flash, (for less than $5.00) I have a colorful art journal all ready to go!

19 comments:

Tabea Heinicker said...

ja, so sehe ich das auch, mit dem low budget. sehr feine idee und anregung!

liebe grüße . tabea

Helmi said...

GREAT! Thanks for sharing.

Elisabetta Brustio said...

Il vero artista è quello che crea qualche cosa partendo veramente da poco. Per l'artista stesso è una sfida (e anche un divertimento) riuscire ad esprimersi e a creare qualcosa di bello ed originale con pochi e semplici strumenti.
Adoro i tuoi art-journal ed è sempre uno spettacolo vederti all'opera!!!!!!

The true artist is the one who creates something really just starting. For the artist himself is a challenge (and fun) to be able to express themselves and create something beautiful and original with a few simple tools.
I love your art-journal and is always a show to see you at work !!!!!!

Rachel said...

watercolor pads for $2.50, where??????

Unknown said...

Rachel,

Alisa has provided the link. They are sold at Dick Blick. Happy Wednesday!!!

Terri said...

Love this idea so much! Not only does it look fun to mess up the pages, but it also seems fun to have these wonderfully colored and patterned backgrounds to doodle on. Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen Kibblehouse said...

This would be such a great project when i'm stalled out in my art. Sometimes Im just not inspired and need to just get in there and play. I'm so doing this on Saturday!

astr!d said...

see- this is exactly why i relate so well to you and your techniques!!! what a great idea and thank you for sharing!!!

Cmichaudart said...

Fabulous idea, love the inexpensive approach and fulfills many "needs" creatively; generous of you to share.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the journal idea.
Barb
NC

Linda said...

Thanks for this idea. It's a great project to do with my granddaughter. Love it.....Linda E.

studioGypsy said...

lovelovelove!! xo

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

Love this post! And I totally agree -- I think some folks just like to buy a lot of art supplies. I like to do things on the cheap too -- and most of all, recycle and re-purpose. Lovely looking journal.

Anonymous said...

I love this. I also love the colors you used. It look so much fun. ~Adalgisa

dawn said...

LOVE!!

susan w said...

Did you stitch the painted pages together after all the color play? That is my guess since the journal doesn't have spiral binding. If so, is the finished size about 5.5" x 4.25" ?

Exuberant and inspiring, thank you!

Setup Business in Delhi said...

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

Rebecca Pelletier said...

So you paint the pages first before you do your drawings on them? I love and am inspired by your beautiful art work!

Unknown said...

oooh great idea! I have a question...which black pen do you use to doodle on coloured pages?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails